It could be power lifting, sports, dance, gardening, or walking tall and confidently. Pilates is centered around your core/abdominals, also known as the powerhouse in Pilates. This is where control, strength, and movement initiate.
Here are some reasons why Pilates works well with all forms of exercise and movement:
1. Pilates strengthens your abdominals.
2. Pilates improves control of your body.
3. Pilates lengthens muscles, improving flexibility.
4. Pilates increases strength.
5. Pilates improves coordination.
6. Pilates reinforces using the stabilizing muscles, such as muscles stabilizing the scapulae and abdominal muscles. This transfers into lifting weights safer and providing control of body movement.
7. Pilates increases body awareness.
All these benefits and more transfer into all types of movement-related exercise. When you go for your morning run, your abdominals will be tighter, protecting your back and increasing toning benefits. When you are lifting weights, you will find you have better posture and more control. When you are playing sports, you will find your athletic ability improving with your increased body awareness.
When you are dancing, you will find the flexibility along with strength will complement your dancing perfectly. When you are walking through town, be prepared to be noticed positively with your improved and confident posture and assurance.
In all areas of life, Pilates can help you live a less stressful, pain-free, and healthy lifestyle. When looking for Pilates classes or privates near you, I recommend Stott Pilates instructors, as you can be assured they will be knowledgeable and have completed in-depth and very intensive training. Of course, there are many excellent instructors through other Pilates courses as well.
Try out Pilates for a period of time and notice the difference! I’d love to hear about your Pilates experiences. 🙂
Photo Credit: Photo of Christina Chitwood by David Paterson at www.davidpaterson.photoreflect.com