There are so many benefits of babywearing for your baby! There are also benefits of babywearing for you as a mom, dad, grandparent, or caregiver. I’m sharing with you some of the benefits my husband and I have found from babywearing our baby as well as 23 evidence-based benefits of babywearing that are great for International Babywearing Week or any time of the year!
Is Babywearing Good for Montessori Families?
My husband, Tom, and I allow lots of time for our baby to move independently, but we also use babywearing. Maria Montessori said positive things about babywearing in The Absorbent Mind:
“All the great human groups, nations and races, have their individual differences; for example, they have different ways of carrying the baby . . . . In most parts of the world, mothers put the baby on a small bed, or in a large bag; they do not carry him in their arms . . . . Some hang the child from their necks, others tie him to their backs, and others again put him in a small basket; but in all countries mothers have found a way of taking their children about with them.
“One observes, too, that the little one, going about with his mother, never cries unless he is ill or hurt in some way. Sometimes he may fall asleep, but he does not cry.
“Yet the crying of children is a problem in Western countries. How often do we hear parents complain of their children’s incessant crying? They discuss what to do to quieten the baby, and how to keep him happy. The reply of modern psychology is this: “The baby cries and becomes disturbed, has screaming fits and rages, because he is suffering from mental hunger.” And this is the truth. The child is bored. He is being mentally starved, kept prisoner in a confined space offering nothing but frustration to the exercise of his powers. The only remedy is to release him from solitude and let him join in social life. This treatment is naturally and unconsciously adopted in many countries. With us, it must become understood and applied deliberately, as a result of conscious thought.”
Benefits of Babywearing Mom and Dad Have Experienced
Tom and I have experienced countless benefits by babywearing our baby boy, Caleb! We have worn Caleb in baby carriers since he was born. Caleb is currently 7 months old, and we still wear him daily!
This carrier has UV protection, so except in the photo I was holding the carrier up and away from his face to make sure he was protected from the sun.
Here are some of the benefits of babywearing Tom and I have experienced with our baby boy:
- A very strong bond between baby and mom.
- A very strong bond between baby and dad.
- Comfort for the baby.
- A calm and happy baby.
- A baby that doesn’t cry much.
- Feeling of closeness to baby.
- A help in getting baby to sleep at naptime. If Caleb needs a nap, usually wearing him in a baby carrier will help him fall asleep if he’s tired. I wear him facing me if he needs to sleep.
- A way for the parent to take a nap. If you wear your baby and 10 minutes or so after your baby has fallen asleep, lay your baby on his or her floor bed, crib, safe sleeping place to sleep while you sleep in the same room. Our baby often will fluster his eyes open as he’s taken out of the carrier and transferred to his floor bed, and then he will go right back to sleep. (Note: for safety, we don’t sleep with our baby in the carrier.)
- A help in getting baby to sleep at night. If your baby is struggling to fall asleep after nursing, it can help to wear your baby until he or she falls asleep and then put your baby on his or her own bed after 10 minutes or so of sleep.
- Added productivity. We have both worn Caleb in a baby carrier while working from home or doing chores.
- Relaxation for parent and baby.
- Gives baby the soothing feel of movement.
- An easier, more comfortable way to carry baby, especially for longer distances.
- A help in providing visual stimulation in public situations, especially when worn front-facing.
- Can be used in many situations at home or when out.
View this post on Instagram
Date night! A lovely dinner and walk on the beach with Tom along with our baby boy, Caleb (14 weeks old)! See how I use this baby carrier to fit in workouts #ontheblog at ChristinaChitwood.com (go to the link in my profile) search for “Fitting in Workouts with Your Baby: Using a Baby Carrier”. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ #datenight #datenightoutfit #datenight❤️ #familydate #ilovemyfamily #proudmommy #beachlife #ilovemybabyboy #ilovemyhusband #family #momsofinstagram #igmoms #boymom #babyboy💙 #boymommy #boymom💙 #momlife #momlifeisthebestlife #babywearing #mother #mommy #newmom #kbnmoms #fashionblogger #beautyblogger #fitnessblogger #momblogger #blogger
These are the baby carriers we have and that have worked well!
The Baby K’tan Organic Baby Carrier is made with organic cotton, so it is a fantastic natural option. It can get a little warm, so it’s good to be aware of that.
We have the Baby K’tan Active Baby Carrier in two colors. Mine is pink and Tom’s is blue. It’s great that these have a more breathable fabric. This carrier has UV protection which is awesome!
The Boppy ComfyFit Baby Carrier is the carrier we’ve loved as out baby has grown bigger. He sleeps the best in this one now (facing toward the adult). It’s great that it is one size, so Tom and I can both use it without having to buy a second carrier. My mom, Deb Chitwood, wears this when she’s watching Sophia (Caleb’s 10-month-old cousin) and Sophia needs to take a nap.
23 Evidence-Based Babywearing Benefits Infographic
Learn more about the science behind babywearing at We The Parents.
MORE BABY INSPIRATION AND BABY PRODUCT REVIEWS
Here are some of my baby product reviews as well as baby inspiration!
Favorite Ways to Babywear
View this post on Instagram
Wearing my baby boy after a tasty lunch in Old Town! This was today at lunch with Tom and Caleb at 7 months old! See my recipes … many are vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free, #ontheblog at ChristinaChitwood.com (go to the link in my profile) click on Recipes or search for “recipes”. 🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗 #babywearingmom #babywearingmama #internationalbabywearingweek2018 #internationalbabywearingweek #babywearingweek #babywearing #familyfuntimes #ilovemybabyboy #healthylifestyle #plantbased #plantbasedvegan #plantbasedfoods #plantbasedlife #plantbasedliving #plantbasedfamily #Montessorifamily #babyboy💙#childhoodunplugged #momsofinstagram #igmoms #boymom #momlife #momlifeisthebestlife #mommy #momblogger #fashionblogger #fitnessblogger #healthblogger #blogger
Do you wear your baby? What are you favorite places to babywear?
Connect with me, @ChristinaChitwood, on social media: