Many jobs within performance rely on a youthful appearance. It’s sad to stress the importance of appearance, but it’s a simple truth that appearance is important in many jobs today – and especially in the performance industry. Here’s one thing you can do to prolong your youthful appearance and help protect your health: WEAR SUNSCREEN!
Here are my top 5 sunscreen tips:
1. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Your sunscreen should protect you from both UVA and UVB rays.
2. Wear at least 30 SPF. The amount of SPF only counts if you have a layer (like frosting) where you can see the white as you rub it in. Once you rub it in, you won’t see it anymore. Do two layers and reapply every couple of hours and more often if you’re sweating or swimming.
3. Key areas to protect: face, neck, chest, shoulders, and hands. Anything exposed is important. Key areas show signs of aging early.
4. If you want a tan, fake tan is the safest way to go. However, fake tan still uses chemicals. Remember that although fake tan will make your skin appear darker, fake tan doesn’t give you any protection from the sun.
5. It’s a good idea to have at least one layer of sunscreen on every day – to protect you in the car and anytime you’re in the sun throughout the day. Even just a little sun every day can cause wrinkles.
I know the importance of protecting skin by always wearing sunscreen, since I wore sunscreen throughout my childhood and continue to do so. It’s paid off so far. Because I have vitiligo (where I have areas of my body without pigment), my skin burns especially easily. I can’t stress enough the importance of being vigilant about protecting your skin.
Not protecting your skin can cause sagging skin, wrinkles, and skin cancer. It’s easy to forget this when you’re young, but most skin damage is typically done in your teens and twenties.
Protect yourself. Do yourself and your career a favor by wearing sunscreen! You’ll be much happier later on. 🙂