Encouraging kids to take part in a sport is more important in today’s society than ever before. There are so many advantages to be gotten from learning and working at a sport. I believe golf is one of the best sports for kids to get into. Here are 5 reasons why!
1. Golf is hard! And so is life. The lessons learned in working at your golf game translate directly to everyday life. Golf is a game that takes a lot of dedication, hard work, persistence and the ability to keep going when everything falls apart. The same rings true for life’s troubles. They usually come at the worst times and take hard work to get through.
2. Golf has a low risk of injury. As a non-contact sport, the risk of injury is dramatically reduced. That means it can be played and enjoyed for a lifetime. It is one of the very few professional sports that has a competitive senior (+50) division. Many professional players have been more successful after turning 40. I had a lady approach me the other day on the driving range who was warming up for a round. She was 92!
3. Golf is a self-regulated sport. There are no referees, no umpires, no judges! So you may assume that it is a free-for-all where cheats run rampant. Well there is one all-powerful judge, jury and executioner. Yourself! The game’s great players would rather finish dead last than to have their integrity questioned by their peers. There is something tremendously character building about penalising yourself when you know you are the only one who saw you break a rule. Look at this article on Blayne Barber for a great story of integrity: Barber disqualifies himself from PGA Tour Q-School.
4. Golf is going places. Golf’s major competitive tours span the USA, Europe, Asia and pretty much anywhere there is grass. Golf will make its return to the Olympics in Rio 2016. It is one of the fastest growing sports in Asia. Golf’s popularity with women is ever increasing. High school golf is more competitive than ever. Why not have your kids be a part of this game?
5. Golf is fun! It’s not for everyone, but those who like golf tend to love it! It can be a bonding experience between father and son. A challenge to beat your older sister. A goal to be the top player on your high school team or just an escape from everyday life and time to be alone with your thoughts.
Stock Photo by BlueOrange Studio.