You don’t have to marry a prince to feel like a princess on your wedding day! Of course, your husband-to-be may be a prince to you, just not a prince by title. I’ve put together tips and tricks on how to have your own version of a royal wedding!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links (at no cost to you).
My Own Fairytale Wedding
Any time a royal wedding or royal event happens, it has me reminiscing of my own wedding!
Tom and I were married in a castle in England over 8½ years ago. It was our own fairytale wedding.
Marrying Tom on our wedding day and Caleb’s birth are the two greatest highlights of my life! It’s more incredible than words can say to be experiencing our greatest blessing yet, our baby boy, Caleb!
Your Own Version of a Royal Wedding
It really is possible to have your own version of a royal wedding! Even though Tom and I didn’t plan for our wedding to be like a royal wedding or even use a royal wedding as inspiration, we ended up having quite a few similarities to royal weddings.
Here are some things we did and loved that you may like to use to create your own version of a royal wedding!
- Get married in a castle, a building that reminds you of a castle, or a church that will give you the feel of a royal wedding. The Episcopal Church is the American version of the Church of England, and Episcopal cathedrals typically have many similarities to English cathedrals. We were married in a castle that we loved and was a little over an hour away from where we were living in England at the time.
- Get married on a weekday. Traditionally royal weddings are on weekdays. You can save a lot on a wedding by having a weekday wedding. Often you save even more the less popular the weekday is for weddings. The savings may mean being able to get your dream venue or being able to splurge on other areas that make your wedding your own royal wedding. We got married on a Monday. It was amazing, and I highly recommend it. This was how we were able to get married in a castle. We would have had to wait a couple extra years to get married at our venue on a weekend, especially in the summer. We also got discounts from all the vendors because of our weekday wedding, so we were able to have our dream wedding without as much expense.
- Wear a tiara. A tiara can really make you feel like a princess. I thought a tiara would be so pretty. I loved the tiara I found, which was pretty and elegant. I didn’t want anything too dominating or over the top.
- Choose a wedding dress that makes you feel like a princess. Or if you really want to go off tradition, have lace in your wedding dress. It doesn’t need to be what someone would traditionally think of as a princess’s wedding gown. Whatever makes you feel like a princess is what counts. When I tried on my wedding dress, I knew it was the one. I thought it was gorgeous, and I felt beautiful in it.
- Wear a white wedding dress. A white wedding dress has such classic elegance. I always imagined I would wear white, and there is something so beautiful about a white wedding dress.
- Use a sword to cut your wedding cake. Cutting the wedding cake with a sword is a fun and traditional way to cut the first slice of wedding cake. Tom really wanted to cut our wedding cake with a sword, and I thought it would be awesome! We had so much fun with it! It really made the cake cutting special and more unique than using a cake knife.
Are you creating your own version of a royal wedding, or have you experienced your own amazing wedding already? Do you enjoy watching and seeing photos of royal weddings?