Protein helps keep you full for longer. Extra protein assists in maintaining and increasing muscle mass. You will recover quicker after working out by eating protein.
5 Healthy Snacks Ideas to Include Protein Powder
Here are 5 healthy snacks you can add protein powder to. I love to use 100% whey protein powder. You can use any protein powder you wish. Look for minimal amounts of sweetener and fewer ingredients.
1. Vegetable Juice. Try our Energy Juice Recipe and add protein powder. This is great for getting your veggies in, and adding protein gives you an even better, long-lasting snack.
2. Smoothies. Try our Peanut Butter Power Smoothie Recipe. Adding protein to a smoothie makes this snack healthier. Without protein, a smoothie can cause a sugar crash because the sugar gets into your system quicker in liquid form. With protein added, a smoothie will give you energy and keep you full for longer. For more smoothie ideas, check out The Healthy Snack Kids and Adults Love.
3. Water. The easiest way to have your protein powder and get it into your system is by mixing it with water. This a super-easy snack because you can put protein powder in a shaker bottle and fill with water when you want it.
4. Oatmeal. Oatmeal is a great breakfast but it can also work any time of day. You will get complex carbohydrates and protein by adding protein powder.
5. Healthy Homemade Muffins or Baked Goods. Adding protein powder to homemade muffins, pancakes, or any baked goods instantly makes them healthier. Be aware of the other ingredients to make sure your baked goods are still healthy.
5 Healthy Snacks Naturally High In Protein
1. Hard-Boiled Eggs or Any Type of Eggs. Eggs have had a bad rep in the past but are now known as a healthy food you can have any time of day.
2. Greek Yogurt. Make sure to look at the label to make sure there are few ingredients and that the particular brand is high in protein. I like the non-fat versions of Greek yogurt that don’t have any added sugar. You can flavor Greek yogurt with fruit to make it super tasty and help you get your five-a-day.
3. Peanut Butter with Apple Slices. A wonderful traditional snack. The peanut butter provides protein as well as healthy fats. The apple gives good carbs.
4. Trail Mix. Make your own. It’s cheaper, and you can determine what goes in it. Nuts and dried fruit are the best way to go. The nuts will provide protein and healthy fats. Be aware that a serving is a handful. It’s easy to have way more calories of a good thing than you need.
5. Cottage Cheese. An easy snack for those who eat dairy.
Great Snacks Any Time of Day or Post-Workout
Any of the above 10 snack ideas are great no matter the time of day. These snacks are also great post-workout to refuel your body.
Enjoy feeling more energized throughout your day and feeling better the following day! When you treat your body right the day before, it returns the favor the following day! Enjoy.
Image credit: tobi / 123RF Stock Photo