Have you ever eaten more because it was the weekend? Most people have, so don’t worry too much about it. The trouble with eating more on the weekend is that activity levels often drop on weekends.
So, you could have a cycle where you eat well and exercise well during the week and then do the opposite on the weekends. This cycle causes you to fluctuate. If you’re trying to lose weight, the weight that was lost during the week is put back on and sometimes more is added over the weekend as well. What can you do to stop this cycle?
Well, there are quite a few things you can do on the weekends to break the cycle, such as eating the same on the weekend as during the week (if it is healthy) and continuing with your weekly exercise. Or you can exercise more if you are eating more.
However, it isn’t that easy, is it? I’m going to give you some ideas to increase your activity levels on the weekend, so even when you are on holiday you can enjoy some of the naughty food you’ve been wanting. Remember, though, moderation is the key!
Try these 10 weekend workout activities that will give you a fun time and bonus exercise:
1. Take a walk. Walk the dog or go for a walk with your family, spouse, partner or friends. You can also choose a more scenic area or park you don’t typically go to during the week to make it a fun weekend activity. You could have a healthy picnic before or after as well to make it a day-out activity and continue with your healthy living.
2. Play a sport. Choose a sport or multiple sports and have fun with friends or family in the park. It feels great to get some fresh air, and it’s quality time with your closest.
3. Go to the gym AND spa. Take care of yourself and make a day of it! Go to your gym and do a good cardio and/or weights workout. Then reward and pamper yourself by using the gym’s spa facilities, such as pool, Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. You will be cleansing your body and relaxing your muscles. Plus, you will feel rejuvenated and great! Tip: if your gym doesn’t have a spa, try pampering yourself by having a bubble bath and maybe even a manicure, pedicure or facial at home.
4. Play Wii Fit and games like Dance Revolution. You can have fun and laugh while being active. Do try to do the exercises standing up, though, to get the most benefit.
5. Stretch. Try stretching with a friend to make it fun. You can stretch each other or even make a game of it. Also, if you have access to a Power Plate, it is fun to stretch on one of those. We carry a lot of tension in our body, especially during the work week. So, the weekend is the perfect time to stretch our body and release some of that tension. You’ll tend to feel more relaxed and rejuvenated afterwards.
6. Do Pilates and/or Yoga. These types of exercises are relaxing but are also great exercise. They are very good for the body and will strengthen while lengthening your muscles. Perfect for the relaxing but good weekend workout.
7. Take a class you don’t have time for in the week, a class you really enjoy, or a new class. This could be any type of exercise class! It could be a Zumba class, dance class, boxercise class, swimming class, ballroom with your partner – any type of class that gets you active and moving your body.
8. Go climbing. Going rock climbing or bouldering can be great fun and a good group activity! There are many places to climb, both indoors and outdoors.
9. Go to an amusement park. Your family will love you for this, but it’s great for every age, too! Ever notice how much walking you do if you go to an amusement park? The key here is to bring healthy snacks and drink lots of water! Try not to buy food at the park. It will save you money and be better for your health, too!
10. Play golf. When you play a game of golf, it will usually take around four hours. That’s a lot of walking and standing in addition to the power and strength used in your golf swing. Going to the range is good, too. Even a mini golf game with a group of friends can be exercise!
Be creative! Have fun! Enjoy moving your body! The more you enjoy your activities that are exercise-based, the more you will look forward to them and want to do them. It will be something that excites you during the week – and weekends in which you feel groggy from overeating and no exercise will be a thing of the past. Enjoy the new you. Your family and friends will love it, too!